so more and more often I'm tired. not just "I didn't sleep well / had a hard day at work and now have 4 hours of homework to do still" kind of tired either. more like if I don't eat every 2 hrs. I usually get shaky, my speech slurs and I have trouble remembering basic things I was told 2 seconds ago. ("you wanted that cash back... how?...again?? ....oh right right right...)
so this past Thursday I went to a doctor for professional advice. (more on that below)
I've spoken to a few of you about it but for a long long time I've mainly just kept it to myself. growing up I slept A LOT, and still do (sometimes upwards of 10+ hrs, with the most at 14; I know the 'more you sleep the more unhealthy it is' but I was just so tired.) Anyway, there were many times as a youth / Teen that I'd go to work with Dad or with other family to a construction Job site and have little more than Mcdonald's or a few honey-buns for breakfast and in a relatively short time I'd be dead tired! (30 minutes maybe?) - never you mind the lack of nutritional this or wholesome foods that, it's what we did. (either you remember what it was like, or it never happened to ya.) nevertheless, I couldn't last on it although the rest of the construction crew seemed just fine till lunch.
Whatever. I didnt think too much about my 'exhaustion' until the first summer we moved down here to Mesa. we had just moved to the apartments, and had little food in the house to eat that day so I skipped it altogether. Dad's construction site required Joe to weld up a large metal gate on the outer opening of the courtyard wall and he needed both my Dad and I to steady the gate while the hinges were welding in place. long story short we were both holding it steady when I got REALLY shaky, locked my arms + legs, and passed out; I have no memory of falling to hit the gate, so I don't think that's what cold cocked me, although I'm sure that's what they thought. I suspected it had to do with not eating, but then again "it's like that for everyone (who work without food)" ~$*#@&%
recently, ... I got married. My lovely and helpful wife has noticed on several occasions of me acting strange, asking 'if I'm ok', or what have you. (many times I had a thumping headache and I noticed it I would eat something a few minutes later everything seemed to stabilize and my moodiness would shift.);
figured I was on to something. a little online research, a few more friendly discussions later with others who have similar issues, and I have a pretty good assumption of what's going on.
well, last Wednesday night I kind of had a breakdown, leaving me mildly confused sitting on the kitchen floor. (not too dramatic, it's not nearly as bad as what you just pictured, I just had a throbbing headache and couldn't connect ingredients together well enough to make myself something simple like a sandwich or whatever; I just started scrounging through and eating raw ingredients like cheese, sandwich meat, fruit, etc.). I got better a little while later and had a long discussion with Staci about how I was feeling and have felt in the past.
keeping in mind that "assumptions" do nothing to help you fix whatever 'problems' you may or may not have, Staci and I agreed that I'd go see a doctor. Thursday she helped make an appointment and I went to spill my guts about everything that is going on, and everything that had been going on. they connected the dots the same as I did, but said they couldn't make any type of official diagnosis until they got a blood sample on an empty stomach (too bad I ate just before the appointment / I get EXTREMELY light headed when I give blood and as a result don't like to).
early next week I plan to go through with it anyway and have them (hopefully) once and for all tell me if there's anything wrong with me or if I just need to watch my diet a bit more and cut back on the sugar! hopefully I'll get some answers - or at least some validity to what I think I may have. I don't dare say anything, in case it's all a hoax. we'll wait and see I guess.
---------------------------------------
(P.S. Sorry for the long post and grammatical issues, they've all been jigsaw puzzle pieces that I am beginning to piece together. if anyone has something similar they've experienced / witnessed I'd love to hear. especially from members of the immediate family!)
8 comments:
Andrew, I so wish you had said something years ago, we all thought you were just lazy. J/K Seriously I totally know the way you have been feeling, because I have felt I was reading a story about me. I have hypoglycemia, that may not be what you have but it could be something close. Keep us posted, I am really curious as to weather or not I am on the right track. Good Luck with it.
So this is what you were doing for an hour last night ;) I love you & know this'll help you. And frankly, I'm tired of your moodswings as much as you're tired of my temper... haha
Drew,
I really did not know you have had these symptoms for so long. Just from what you have posted, it sounds like a metabolic issue like reactive hypoglycemia. In a nutshell, anytime we eat our pancreas secretes insulin to allow carbohydrates to be used by the cells in our body. With reactive hypoglycemia, the body secretes either too much insulin or secretes it too fast, causing the glucose level in the blood to drop. Symptoms of hypoglycemia are similar to what you have said--weakness, mental confusion, muscle shakes, and so on.
The only definitive test for this is a glucose tolerance test, in which you would drink a syrupy liquid with a set amount of glucose, and blood is drawn before drinking, and then 30 min, 1 hour, and 2 hours after drinking the liquid. The blood glucose level is compared to normal ranges to see if the amount of glucose is falling too fast.
If it is hypoglycemia, the management of it is through diet. Hypoglycemic persons need to eat a snack in between meals or eat 6 small meals. Also, simple carbohydrates like sugar aggravate the problem, so sugar free or lower sugar items and complex carbohydrates are the norm. Good luck and keep us posted if we can help in any way.
Karlie (my best friend) has hypoglycemia and has VERY similar symptoms.
I also felt that way when I was pregnant (not that you are!) but I had pregnancy anemia and I hear that regular anemia feels that way too.
Glad you're getting help. Very glad you have a wife now who can notice these things and help you take care of yourself. It's one thing we Sanders' wives have to deal with--taking care of men who won't take care of themselves! :)
Love you. Hang in there. You'll be in our prayers.
You and I talked about this before, but we always blamed it as Mom's "low blood sugar" I just went last week for a full physical/blood work test. Let me know what the doctors think
Hey Drew
I didn't have what you did, but I will tell you I was just recently dignosed with Metabolic Syndrome and PCOS. My whole diet and things in my life have to change. For example I'm pretty much not allowed to have carbs- which use to be a huge part of my diet. Right now I'm really struggling with this, but I'm getting support from my roomie and family.
Staci will be there for you always as support. Don't be scared- you're doing the right thing by finding things out. I'm sure you'll be okay and the Dr. and you can find a way to get better.
Sorry to hear about your medical problem. Glad your getting it checked out. I'm sure they'll be able to help you as soon as they pinpoint the problem. Good luck and keep us posted. I keep lots of food in the house when you come.
Hi Drew,
The whole time I was reading your blog I kept thinking, "You need to have Bryan check you out". If your willing you should let bryan check you while you are in Texas. I KNOW he can get you better.
We are excited to see you guys!
Post a Comment